Sunday, March 21, 2010

Not What I Had in Mind

So this project started with the best of intentions.  I had dreams of a gorgeous banner made up of egg shapes in pretty pastel colors with E-A-S-T-E-R spelled out on them.  Well, that is not how it turned out.

I was frustrated at first and thought about trashing the whole project.  Then I thought about my wonderful bloggy friends.  I was sure others out there have failed at accomplishing exactly what they had envisioned, so why not post this project and share one of my mishaps?  

I remember seeing projects similar to this around Valentine's Day but can't remember where I saw it. (if you do, let me know and I will give them credit)  I remember making 'stained glass' projects in Girl Scouts using this same technique and some fall leaves.  Here's how I did it:

Start by shaving some crayons.  Any colors you want.  I chose a wide variety, but in hindsight (it's always 20/20) I should have stuck with strictly pastels in only a few colors.


Then take a long strip of wax paper and fold it in half.  Set the wax paper on a towel on a heat safe surface.  Lay the wax paper flat and sprinkle the crayon shavings over one side of the wax paper leaving at least an inch on all sides.  Fold it back over and cover with a towel. (it will protect you iron)





Using a high heat setting run your iron over the towel.  I kept checking the paper to see how melty the wax was getting.  If you iron too much it will turn into a nice brown blob.



After it is the correct swirly-ness, let the paper cool completely.  After it has cooled trace the shape you want to cut out and start cutting.  If the two sides start to separate you can iron them again.  To string my eggs on the ribbon, I cut two slits in the top of each egg and used a big gauge needle to thread the ribbon.  I added letters and a little bow to each egg to complete the look.  




If I had used less colors then I would completely be in love with this banner.  
Well, that's life.  Maybe I will try again........

PS - I got this awesome iron a few weeks ago at Joann's on clearance.  Reg $60 and I got it for $15.  It has a great digital display, quick heat up, and it also doubles as a steamer!  I am a little embarrassed to admit that it's been about five years since I have owned an iron.  I love it!
 

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoppin' by from New Friend Friday. Cute blog and I love the idea of all of the color. Good thing you saved your iron too. I own an iron but unless it involves a craft, it doesn't get used! Sounds like you got a great deal on one. I never thought about getting one from Joann's. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Summer Rae,

    Well...I think it still turned out just fine! Thanks for sharing this fun idea. ♥

    I'm visiting for New Friend Friday. It's so nice to meet you and I do hope you will pop over to my place to snag or look at the free images I made just for today. ♥

    Hugs,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete